Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My goose was cooked

The inhospitable Phoenix weather did me in this morning.

My troubles actually started the night before. The p-wife and I were guests in another home, so we slept on a bed 30% smaller than what we're used to. If you can imagine two old bears wrestling in twilight slumber, trying to get comfortable, you'll have a fairly accurate picture of how I slept.

Needless to say, I didn't answer the alarm so I could be on the road by 5 a.m. The sun was already well into the sky by the time I opened the front door. The temperature was brushing up against 90 and the humidity was, well, humid. The air was as still as a hurrican's eye; I know because I've been thru more than one hurricane.

The training schedule called out a five mile tempo run this morning. A tempo run involves a one mile warm up, three miles at 60 to 90 seconds less than race pace (so I needed to log about 11:15 on those three miles) and then a mile cool down.

But 2 1/2 miles into the run I was getting overheated. Even though I was sweating profusely I sensed that things were headed in the wrong direction. I found a bit of shade and stopped for a few minutes until my heart rate dropped into a more favorable zone.

Big mistake

When it was time to get cranking again there was nothing to crank! I started loping along at a 12:00 pace when the drive train components allowed that I was an idiot for having set out on this venture. Then various bearings, cables and levers reminded that they were feeling the strain. I pushed myself for another mile or so and then finally just ran out of gas. The sun beat me up and I just didn't have the energy to make that last 1 1/2 slow climb back to where my adventure orginated.

This is the first run I think I can say, "I wish I hadn't done that today." Even though I know what happened and could probably rationalize it away, there's no getting away from the fact that today felt like a defeat. I didn't fulfill my training goal for the day.

Lessons learned

1. If I'm going to run in Phoenix in the summer I have to get it done before the sun shows itself.

2. If I'm going to do a longer run or a tempo run I have to get a good night's sleep. If I don't sleep well the night before, switch the tempo run for the next days' EZ run.

3. Take water, even if it is only a short run like today's.

1 comment:

Total Pageviews